Ski season is in full swing, and being a ski enthusiast I must admit that I am bummed that I have to sit out the whole season. If you haven’t heard, I’m pregnant! Just one of the sacrifices I am making for our new baby. I was even more bummed when Clark told me we had been invited to go to Keystone for Kidtopia. An awesome chance to experience a new mountain, with an opportunity to ski with top instructors, cool demo skis, the works! And I wasn’t going to get to do any of it!
Being the optimist that I am, I tried to start thinking about the upside. We were going to be staying in a great condo at the bottom of the slopes, the kids were going to be in ski school for two full days and there is a great spa. Even though I couldn’t ski, I started to get excited!
Over the next few weeks as we prepared for our trip people kept asking me why in the world I was taking a ski vacation while I was pregnant. As I started to explain to each of them the reasons I was looking forward to it, my anticipation grew and grew. By the time we made it to Keystone, which was a bit of a challenge, I was ready for some rest and relaxation. That was exactly what I got and it was amazing. From watching skiers wind down the slopes by the warmth of my living room and fireplace, to having time to get a nap in while the kids were at ski school, to getting the best pre-natal massage ever, I was in heaven!
Maybe a ski vacation was never on your radar for a vacation while prego, but here my 6 reasons why you should take a ski vacation when you are pregnant:
- Expectations are low for your activity. While everyone else is getting out early and going hard all day you can sit with your feet up and enjoy the down time. In the evening when they all come home they are exhausted — just like you. Dinner, low-key evenings, and relaxing…
- The kids are entertained. Being a stay at home mom while pregnant can be overwhelming. Having to constantly chase after little ones and keep food on the table — and off the floor — is exhausting. And then you go on a ski vacation. Put your kids in ski school and let them learn the basics from the pros. Our kids had a blast both on and off the slopes each day and their ski skills made dramatic improvements. They were excited each day to bring home their “report card” and just spend some quality cuddle time with us after having such active days.
- The spa. Need I say more? Keystone had an awesome spa and although I couldn’t take advantage of all they had to offer with the hot tub and sauna being off-limits to me with a baby in utero, the spa was still so relaxing. Each pregnancy I get a massage at some point in the 9 months. It is always so nice with sore back and swollen feet to have a full body massage. The massage I got at Keystone was by far the best I have ever had. They have special pillows that allow even very prego women like me, to lie on their stomach. This alone is worth paying for! The therapists were amazing and the setting was so serene. I am sure I was a better mom that night because of the spa experience!
- Down time. During pregnancy it seems that there are so many demands on our time. Getting ready for baby, keeping up with our normal lives, and making sure the other kids aren’t completely neglected. I sometimes feel like I am just keeping my head above water. Having a few full days to yourself can allow for some margin to work on those things you have been wanting to do. For me it was writing a screenplay! I had been wanting to work on this for over a year, and at Keystone I finally started. For you it may be a good book to read or some scrap booking or maybe just catching up on your favorite show. Whatever your choice, it will up to you and not dictated by others schedules.
- Awesome entertainment options at your doorstep. If you do get a bit of cabin fever there are tons of great dining and entertainment options just steps from your door. No getting in and out of the car, battling traffic or searching for the right parking spot. Just throw on your jacket and head out.
- Comfy clothes are the norm. Maybe you feel like your maternity clothes are a bit boring, the same jeans and sweatshirt just doesn’t compare to the cute clothes all those other skinny non-prego’s are wearing. Fear not! In the village you will fit right in. Sweaters, comfy pants and boots are all the rage in the village so you will be right in fashion.
So while you won’t be cutting fresh tracks in new powder or racing down the groomers a ski vacation while you are pregnant can be just what the doctor ordered. For us, Keystone Resort in Summit County, Colorado was just perfect.. They are all about families. From awesome kids ski school, to kids apre ski, 4 ice skating rinks and movie nights everyone is sure to have a blast.
You can also check out Clark’s overview of our family ski vacation at Keystone.
If you’re new to Family Trek, let’s get connected. We’re on a quest to work less, live more, and travel the world as a family. We’re trying to live deliberately, examining every aspect of life to ensure that our life actually matches up with the things we say we value most.